Opening for a graduate student (Ph.D. or M.S.) interested in conducting
research on the conservation and ecology of aquatic insects that
contributes to conserving the Hine’s emerald dragonfly (Somatochlora
hineana), a federally-listed endangered species that occurs in the
Midwestern United States and Canada. The species has a number of unique
ecological and behavioral attributes, and its survival is closely linked
to groundwater dynamics. You can contribute to ongoing research efforts
including habitat conservation, e-DNA protocol development, captive-
rearing, and habitat restoration. Field research is conducted primarily
in Door County, Wisconsin and near Chicago, Illinois. Students
interested in adult or larval dragonfly ecology and behavior, or with
general interests in wetland hydrology and predator-prey or predator-
predator interactions are especially encouraged. I seek self-motivated
students interested in working on studies that integrate basic and
applied ecology. In my lab we work closely with a number of federal,
state, and local agencies as well as non-profits. If you are interested
in conducting research that plays a vital role in saving a rare and
unusual species, or conserving aquatic insects in general, contact Dr.
Daniel A. Soluk, Dept. of Biology, Univ. of South Dakota
((dso...@usd.edu, http://www.usdbiology.com/soluk) for further
information. Support for this position comes from a combination of
Teaching and Research Assistantships. Consideration of applicants will
begin January 10, 2018.