Ruth Yanai is seeking new graduate students (MS or PhD) to participate in a
large collaborative project investigating above and belowground carbon
allocation, nutrient cycling, and tradeoffs involved in multiple resource
allocation.  The Multiple Element Limitation in Northern Hardwood Ecosystems
(MELNHE) project has field sites located at Hubbard Brook, Jeffers Brook,
and Bartlett Experimental Forests in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.
Since 2011, thirteen stands have been receiving N, P, N&P, and control
treatments in 0.25-ha plots, with six stands receiving Ca treatments.
Research in the MELNHE project includes aboveground diameter growth, leaf
production by species, foliar nutrient resorption, water use, soil
respiration, soil mineralization, beech bark disease, mycorrhizae, and snail
and arthropod diversity.  More information on the project can be found at
http://www.esf.edu/melnhe.

We welcome inquiries from prospective students interested in forest ecology,
nutrient cycling, and uncertainty analysis
(http://quantifyinguncertainty.org). Applicants should be self-motivated,
excited to work as part of a multi-investigator project, have laboratory and
field experience, and be comfortable living and working in a group setting.
A field crew blog from previous years is available at
http://shoestringproject.wordpress.com/.

We prefer for students to join us for the summer field season, which starts
June 4, 2018, so as to become familiar with the field sites and our research
activities before starting classes in late August.

Funding will consist of a combination of research and teaching
assistantships. A stipend, full tuition waiver, health insurance, and a
summer position with the field crew in New Hampshire will be provided.
Prospective students may apply to the Department of Forest and Natural
Resources Management or the Graduate Program in Environmental Science, both
at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY.

We appreciate communicating with students as part of the application
process. Students are encouraged to review MELNHE related data and
publications and supply their own ideas for research in relation to the
project. Prospective students should begin that conversation by requesting
the password for Ruth's project materials from Mary Hagemann at
forestecol...@esf.edu.

Thanks!