Dear colleagues,

As I struggle more and more to keep track of the cash flow in my lab, I
figured I could ask the community if there is a tool to answer my problem.
As a matter of fact, I don't think it is a very specific problem, as it
should match the needs of any PI in academia. In short, I'm looking for a
software that works in the world of academia and grant funding.

This software should at the very least have the following features:

- free software;
- installable on a web server (whether shared hosting or not);
- transaction based, i.e. the elementary unit is a transaction;
- categories for transactions (e.g. food, salary, purchase, travel, grant,
etc.) which are associated to income or expense;
- multi-users (with different roles and permissions), so that lab members
can edit their own transactions, without necessarily having access to the
entire lab budget or past transactions;
- multiple accounts/projects/grants, to differentiate different pots of money;
- able to deal with salaries (recurring payroll) without the need of a
manual action;
- possibility to add attachments (admin reports, travel authorization,
etc.) and additional information (detailed description, note, etc.).

Optional (but highly desired) features:

- provide status of a transaction (e.g. none, clear, reconciled) to track
reconciliation;
- split bills over several accounts, i.e. a single transaction can be split
to use several sources of money;
- possibility to group transactions under a single umbrella (for instance
all expenses related to a single travel with a Travel Report Number), e.g.
with tags or reference number;
- possibility to use a template for transactions, or add a transaction that
inherits the characteristics of an existing transaction.

I use HomeBank [1] for my own personal use. While it is (almost) perfect
for a single person, it is not on-line, and thus not possible to share it
with other lab members. That makes it non-scalable within a lab.

I am currently testing Akaunting [2], which seems to be tailored for
business that actually sell products. It could be set to cover almost all
of my needs, but can't handle (yet?) payroll, and implement a rather
constraining approach of vendors, which need to be listed prior to add any
transaction.

Best,
Mathieu Basille.

[1]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__homebank.free.fr_en_&d=DwIDaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=fUqryl6k9G4nZHa3j4i9CwGHGosQc60u5GTpOWeHcCk&m=0l4EtanYzVO6Np2buEEFlBfvi9_Gei4K6x1z6hV-bto&s=N6gMM-kWuYiL9XkBUX7PYR4hrYTWLiCkmQCdnrCLV10&e=

[2]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__akaunting.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=fUqryl6k9G4nZHa3j4i9CwGHGosQc60u5GTpOWeHcCk&m=0l4EtanYzVO6Np2buEEFlBfvi9_Gei4K6x1z6hV-bto&s=Yys0wgDbhVxkv_nBi5QYymnui5Wbby4zK5U8Xpu1SDU&e=

--

Mathieu Basille

basi...@ufl.edu |
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mablab.org_&d=DwIDaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=fUqryl6k9G4nZHa3j4i9CwGHGosQc60u5GTpOWeHcCk&m=0l4EtanYzVO6Np2buEEFlBfvi9_Gei4K6x1z6hV-bto&s=OuQ3ue_lv6JaXk7a3LYHRbLCNVSS_B-CnalUCgmWc7M&e=
+1 954-577-6314 | University of Florida FLREC

  « Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
  Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  — Paul Éluard