From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
<ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU> on behalf of John A. <omnipithe...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 12:24 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Attacks on the Credibility of Scientists

    The Flint water crisis demonstrated that some public officials are willing
to make false statements in an attempt to discredit science conducted in the
public interest—especially if the results of that science expose failure and
neglect on the part of those officials.  In some cases these officials have
attacked the credibility of individual scientists in an attempt to deflect
attention from their own professional lapses.

    I would be interested to hear from anyone on the list who has experienced
similar attacks on their professional credibility—whether as faculty, graduate
students, agency scientists or independent researchers.  I will keep all
replies in strictest confidence.  Please contact me off-list with my thanks in
advance.

                                 - J. A.