In response:

1. The submissions are not peer-reviewed. You can post anything there. They just screen for stuff that is offensive or "non-scientific." I wonder what percentage are ever published.

2. I wonder who is citing these papers and where and why? If they are not reliable resources then why cite them. I'm guessing people want to get some results out quickly or maybe get some feedback to make the review process go better.

I don't see the point of posting anything on a website like this one. The papers are suspect unless peer reviewed and I seriously doubt that any search committee or any promotions committee would accept a paper posted at this web site or any others like it as a valid publication. The peer review process is not perfect, but in most cases we get it right. If you publish in journals run by non-profit professional societies it will cost you much less and sometimes nothing at all.

Mitch Cruzan