Assistant or Associate Professor in Spatial Science of Coupled Natural-Human
Systems
School for Environment and Sustainability
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

 The School for Environment and Sustainability (SEAS) at the University of
Michigan is
seeking applications for a full-time, nine-month, tenure-track Assistant or
Associate
Professor in Spatial Science of Coupled Natural-Human Systems.

We seek applicants whose work advances the frontiers of knowledge in
natural-human
system processes and relationships at diverse scales using theories, methods,
and tools
of spatial science. Topical areas of interest are broad. These could include
human
dimensions of global change as they relate to biodiversity loss,
land-cover/land-use
change, urbanization, climate change, ecosystem services and valuation,
material and
energy flows, and environmental degradation, among others.

Candidates need to have strong capabilities in Geographic Information Systems
(GIS),
remote sensing, and/or other forms of spatial science, and to incorporate this
as an
integral core of their work. Candidates must have a Ph.D., and we are
interested in
candidates from a broad range of disciplines, including geography,
anthropology, ecology,
hydrology, environmental science, computational or data science, engineering,
public
health, social sciences, or related fields.  We are also interested in
candidates who may
be combining disciplines in interesting or novel ways.  This position offers
the potential to
take leadership in GIS and spatial analysis at the University of Michigan,
including
directorship of the SEAS Environmental Spatial Analysis (ESALab). A more
detailed
position description can be found at http://seas.umich.edu/employment.

Applications should include (1) a cover letter; (2) CV; (3) a concise personal
statement
describing your vision and plans for research, teaching and societal
engagement; (4) a
one-page statement on how the candidate contributes to diversity efforts, and
(5) a list of
three academic references with contact information.

To apply, submit application materials (in a single PDF file), via
http://seas.umich.edu/employment. For assistance or further information, you
may
contact seas.faculty.search.st...@umich.edu

Review of applications will begin on September 14, 2018 and continue until the
position is
filled.  SEAS hopes to appoint a faculty member to this position to begin Fall
2019.

At SEAS we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and equitable
environment that respects diverse experiences, promotes generous listening and
communications, and discourages and restoratively responds to acts of
discrimination,
harassment, or injustice. Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is
deeply
rooted in our values for a sustainable and just society.

The University of Michigan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.