The Biogeochemistry Lab at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC)
is conducting their annual census of the Global Change Research Wetland
(GCREW), https://serc.si.edu/gcrew , a marsh that SERC scientists have been
studying for over 30 years. There are a variety of projects happening, but all
of them involve counting and measuring plants in the marsh. We are running
several long-term experiment including: one looking at the impacts of increased
carbon dioxide on plant growth, one to look at the combined impacts of
increased carbon dioxide and nitrogen on plants, one that looks at whether
native and invasive plants are responding to nutrient input in similar or
different ways, and another one that looks at the impacts on plants when you
actually warm the soil that they are growing in. In the beginning, volunteers
usually act as data recorders, and then start taking some of the measurements
as they become more comfortable. We'd love to have you join us for one or more
days if you are interested!

We are looking for volunteer citizen scientists on weekdays from July 23
through August 3 from 8AM to 4PM. We especially need help July 25-27 and July
30-August 3. Volunteers need to volunteer for a minimum of one full day and
we'd love to have volunteers help out over multiple days. The work involves
working in the tidal marsh (on boardwalks) at SERC to count and measure all of
the plants in the experimental plots and working in the lab to sort samples and
conduct analyses. Volunteers must be at least 16 years old to participate.
This is a great opportunity for students who want to gain field work
experience.  This is a fun experience for anyone who wants to spend time
outdoors and learn more about SERC or GCREW.  If you are interested, please
contact Alison Cawood at cawo...@si.edu<mailto:cawo...@si.edu> or 443-482-2271.