** PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY TO INTERESTED STUDENTS **

Ph.D. and M.S. Research Assistantships: Aquatic Ecology/Limnology

Auburn University, School of Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences

Auburn, Alabama, USA

ecology/limnology are available in Alan Wilson's lab at Auburn University
(http://www.wilsonlab.com).  Current lab research projects, including new
USDA-NIFA Aquaculture and NSF Dimensions of Biodiversity grants, take advantage
of our large field station that includes hundreds of aquaculture ponds and
nearby recreational and drinking water reservoirs where we pursue basic and
applied questions associated with understanding the ecological, evolutionary,
and limnological mechanisms controlling the structure and function of
freshwater plankton communities.  Harmful algal blooms are the foci for many of
our projects.  My students are welcome to participate on existing projects,
which include large-scale field experiments and monitoring, lab-based
analytical analyses, and modeling, but are strongly encouraged to develop their
own projects in addition to applying for external grants and fellowships.

I am motivated to maintain a productive, diverse lab and want to encourage
students from under-represented groups to consider joining us.  Moreover, lab
members have numerous opportunities to engage students from institutions with
limited research opportunities, students with disabilities, and students in
financial need in their research and outreach projects through current NSF
projects (REU, INCLUDES, S-STEM).

Qualifications: Ideal candidates will be hard-working, honest, highly
motivated, team-oriented, and excited about studying freshwater communities
using lab and field-based approaches.  Prior coursework in ecology and
statistics, a strong interest in mentoring undergraduates and participating in
outreach, and relevant research experiences (including analytical skills, such
GC-MS, GC-FID, HPLC, ELISA) are desirable.  Minimum qualifications include a
B.S./B.A. (for M.S. position) or M.S. (for Ph.D. position) in Biology, Ecology,
or related field; GPA of 3.2 or greater; and above average GRE scores (at least
50th percentile for quantitative and verbal; at least 4.0 for analytical
writing).

Support: Graduate research assistantships include 12-month stipend and full
tuition coverage.  Highly qualified candidates will be considered for an AU
Presidential Graduate Research Fellowship, which can last 3 years and include
an annual stipend of $30,000
(http://graduate.auburn.edu/au-presidential-graduate-research-fellowships/).

Start date: Flexible but early to mid 2019 would be ideal considering current
projects.

How to apply: Interested students are encouraged to email Alan Wilson
(wil...@auburn.edu) describing why the lab is a good fit for you by 1 October
2018 for full consideration.  In addition, please include your CV, GRE scores,
copies of transcripts, and contact information for three references.

---

Alan Wilson

Associate Professor - Auburn University

School of Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences

www.wilsonlab.com<http://www.wilsonlab.com/> - 334.246.1120