PhD opportunity: Cost-effective management strategies for wild deer in
Australia.

We seek a motivated and capable student, with a keen interest in wildlife
management and
population dynamics, for a PhD program investigating cost-effective management
strategies for
wild deer in Australia. The selected candidate will conduct original research
to evaluate the costs
and benefits of deer management strategies including ground-shooting, aerial
shooting and fencing.
The program will involve analysis of data collected in deer control programs
conducted by state
and local government agencies, quantifying the costs of this control and
modelling the long-term
impacts of this control on deer populations.

We are looking for a person with a strong academic record and previous research
experience.  The
ideal candidate will also have published previous research and be competitive
for scholarships.
Both domestic and international students are eligible to apply. The PhD program
will be co-
supervised by Professor Richard Duncan at the University of Canberra and Dr
David Forsyth at the
New South Wales Department of Primary Industries.

The successful candidate would apply for a scholarship at the University of
Canberra (applications
close 30 September 2018).  The Australian Centre for Invasive Species Solutions
(CISS) would
fund: (1) a top-up scholarship of $5,000 for each of the first seven semesters;
(2) a full scholarship
for the eighth semester; (3) operating costs of $7,000 annually for four years;
(4) conference
attendance of up to $3,500 annually.

For further information contact Richard Duncan at
richard.dun...@canberra.edu.au or Dave
Forsyth at dave.fors...@dpi.nsw.gov.au