Graduate Assistant Position at the University of Maryland, College Park

The EspíndoLab has an opening for a Graduate Assistant position, with a
potential start date in the Fall semester 2019. The lab is interested in
understanding the effect of the environment on inter-species
interactions and communities. To do so, we combine geospatial,
phylogenetic and phylogeographic, and ecological approaches. One of the
current foci in our work is seeking to understand how changes in the
biotic and abiotic environments affect and have affected through
historical and geological times the gain, loss, and maintenance of
specialized pollination interactions, and the structure of communities.
Work in our lab has spanned many taxa (from plants, to insects, to
snails, and millipedes) and large spatial scales (with field sites in
South America, Europe, and North America).

The Department of Entomology at the University of Maryland, College Park
(www.entomology.umd.edu) is housed in the Colleges of Computer,
Mathematical, and Natural Sciences (CMNS) and Agriculture and Natural
Resources (AGNR). The Department stands out for its state-of-the-art
science, its collegiality, diversity, and inclusiveness. The Department
is in suburban Maryland, in the Washington D.C. area, offering
opportunities of collaborations with many of the research and teaching
institutions present in the region. The location gives unique access to
cultural and recreational activities available both in the city and the
surrounding region. The University of Maryland, College Park is
considered a “Public Ivy-League”, ranked among the 50 top Universities
in the world, and offers an excellent educational, cultural, and
recreational environment to work, study, and live.

We are seeking a motivated, independent, and creative Graduate Assistant
to join our lab. The ideal candidate holds a Master’s degree (or
equivalent), has experience in independent research, and is interested
in joining a dynamic and collaborative working environment. Women and
members of minority groups are encouraged to apply. If interested, email
a motivation letter, your CV, and contact information of two references
to Prof. Anahí Espíndola (anahiesp[at]umd.edu). Applications received
before September 28th, 2018 will be fully considered, and the selected
candidates will be invited to apply to the Department’s Graduate
program. Application and acceptance by the University of Maryland
Graduate program is required. For questions, email Prof. Espíndola
(anahiesp[at]umd.edu).

The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable
federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and
affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal
opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental
disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political
affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by
the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs
and activities, and admissions.

Learn about the lab: http://anahiespindola.github.io

Contact: Prof. Anahí Espíndola, anahiesp[at]umd.edu