The Shoemaker lab is accepting applications for 1-2 graduate students (Masters
or Ph.D.)
who will start fall 2019 at the University of Wyoming in the Program in Ecology
or the
Botany Department. Our lab’s research broadly focuses on understanding spatial
and
temporal community dynamics and coexistence. We combine ecological theory and
modeling with experimental tests of underlying mechanisms across a variety of
systems,
using protist microcosms, grassland manipulations, and long-term datasets. Our
research
focuses on how spatial heterogeneity, dispersal, and stochasticity alter
coexistence of
competing species and underlying community composition. More information on our
research can be found at https://laurenshoemaker.weebly.com/.

Qualified applicants should have previous research experience that matches any
of the
lab’s general research themes, and students with strong quantitative
backgrounds are
especially encouraged to apply. We are interested in students from a diversity
of
backgrounds, including ecology, biology, mathematics, and computer science. We
value
diversity and encourage students from underrepresented groups to apply.
Graduate
students will be supported in part by a new 5-year, $20 million NSF EPSCoR RII
Track-1
grant to the University of Wyoming. Additional details can be found at
http://www.uwyo.edu/epscor/microbial-ecology/.

To apply, contact Dr. Lauren Shoemaker at lshoe...@uwyo.edu with (1) a CV that
includes
relevant research or work experience, GPA, and relevant previous classes and
(2) a brief
description of your research background, future research ideas, and interest in
joining the
lab. This will allow us to discuss research interests and fit before submitting
an official
application. The application deadline is January 31 (Program in Ecology) or
February 1
(Botany), however applicants are encouraged to express interest as soon as
possible.

The University of Wyoming has a total enrollment of 12,000 full-time students
with active
ecological research across multiple departments, including Botany, Zoology and
Physiology, Ecosystem Science and Management, and the Program in Ecology. The
university is located in Laramie, a mountain town with a relatively low cost of
living that is
close to multiple field sites, several mountain ranges, and within easy driving
distance of
Colorado’s Front Range corridor (Fort Collins, Boulder, and Denver). The
University of
Wyoming is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.  All
qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion,
sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status or any other
characteristic
protected by law and University policy.  Please see
www.uwyo.edu/diversity/fairness.