Dear colleagues,

We are organizing a Special Session on Hardwater Lakes for the upcoming ASLO
meeting in San Juan P.R. in February 2019. These important, yet threatened
systems represent almost half of all standing inland waters and occur on
every continents except Antarctica. We hope to bring together a diverse
group of researchers to synthesize current knowledge and identify future
threats and opportunities.
The deadline for abstract submission October 22nd 2018.

Thanks and all the best, Bjoern Wissel

SS46 Structure, Function and Controls of Hardwater Lakes in a Changing Climate

Hardwater lakes occur on all continents except Antarctica and represent
almost half of all inland waters worldwide. Their prevalence in semi-arid to
sub-humid climate zones and unique hydrology makes these lakes particularly
vulnerable to climate change, water withdrawal and pollution, resulting in
substantial damage to both environmental and economic systems. Lake
morphometry, hydrology and water chemistry in these systems is often
different from those in boreal lakes, leading to large differences in
biogeochemical cycles and atmospheric exchange (CO2, CH4, N2O). In addition,
hardwater lakes often exhibit a highly diverse and/or specialized food-web
structure. Improved understanding of the role of these lakes in elemental
cycling and biological diversity is needed to improve surface water
management in continental interiors, protect ecosystems from irrevocable
damage (e.g., Aral Sea), and understand their effect on surface hydrology.
To address these shortcomings and enable future synthesis, we invite
contributions that evaluate biological, hydrological, physical, chemical
aspects of hardwater lakes.

Organizers:
Bjoern Wissel, University of Regina (bjoern.wis...@uregina.ca)
Rafael Marcé, Catalan Institute for Water Research (rma...@icra.cat)