There are openings for new PhD students in my lab (carolinemtucker.com) in the
Department of Biology at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, for
Fall 2019.

Work in my lab is primarily focused on broad questions in community ecology,
especially
related to trait-based approaches to ecology, the assembly of ecological
communities,
and maintenance of biodiversity at different scales. We primarily use aquatic
microcosms
of zooplankton communities, existing databases for plant communities, and
quantitative
methods. There is flexibility in terms of projects and students are strongly
encouraged to
develop their own projects and research directions within the lab’s general
area of work. It
is desirable for students to have previous research experience. Since the lab
relies heavily
on quantitative techniques, so some coding experience (R, etc.), and some
undergraduate
level math and/or statistics training is very helpful.

Chapel Hill offers world-class research opportunities with a good (and
relatively
inexpensive) quality of life. Chapel Hill, along with Durham and Raleigh, forms
the
Research Triangle region of NC, which attracts a diverse group of people and
cultures.
Chapel Hill has a warm climate with mild winters, is within hours of both
mountains and
the Atlantic Ocean, and is home to a great diversity of flora and fauna.

Interested students should contact me first to discuss research interests and
qualifications. Please email me at carolinetuc...@unc.edu and tell me a little
about your
past research experience and interests, as well as relevant education
information (GPA,
GRE scores, quantitative course experience). The application deadline to UNC is
Dec. 4,
2018.