We have a two-year postdoctoral position to support our investigation of
ecosystem service delivery in Canada’s Prairies. Our lab
(http://ecologics.ucalgary.ca) is animated by recent findings that land
sharing practices in agricultural landscapes have the potential to
improve both crop yields and conservation outcomes, representing a “win-
win” for biodiversity and farmers. We are also part of a network of
researchers assessing the status of biodiversity and services provided
by arthropods and birds across this vast agricultural region. The
position is supported by University of Calgary’s prestigious Eyes High
Postdoctoral funding program.

As a postdoctoral scholar joining this team, you will be capable of
applying your computational and analytics skills to several “big”
spatial data sets that we have collected. These include precision
agricultural yield data and an occurrence database for pollinators and
other beneficial arthropods. Ideally your research background will be in
a related discipline such as landscape ecology, quantitative ecology,
environmental science, remote sensing, or spatial statistics. However,
we will also consider candidates with data science skills as applied to
any discipline who are motivated to pursue ecological, agricultural and
spatial questions. Strong programming skills (e.g. in R) and successful
application of advanced statistical models are key qualifications.
Collegiality and evidence of strong written and oral communication
skills are also essential. Familiarity with Bayesian modelling (e.g. in
Stan or JAGS), GIS, and remote sensing methods are assets, but not
requirements.

Apply to PAUL GALPERN (pgalp...@ucalgary.ca). Send a cover letter
expressing: (1) qualifications; and, (2) preparedness to begin this
appointment as soon as possible but no later than August 31st, 2019.
Please also forward: (3) a CV; and (4) one or more research products
providing evidence of your abilities in written English communication
and advanced statistical modelling. If possible, please combine all
documents into a single PDF and include as an email attachment.
Candidates selected for interview will be asked to provide the names and
contact information for two academic references.

We will begin to review applications on October 24, 2018, but will
continue to accept applications until the position is filled. This two-
year position is to be supported by the University of Calgary’s Eyes
High Postdoctoral Funding (http://ucalgary.ca/research/postdoc) and will
be based in Calgary, Alberta. Candidates must commence the appointment
within five years of being awarded their PhD degree. Applications from
both international candidates and Canadian citizens are encouraged. For
more information, don’t hesitate to contact Paul!

The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university
– a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and
opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most
enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its
Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research
universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully
integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University
of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation
across all disciplines.