Members of the North American diatom community are currently working to
create a taxonomic certification exam to increase consistency and precision
in diatom data collection. The Diatom Taxonomic Certification Committee
requests a few minutes of your time to help us learn about your specific
areas of interest and need. Whether you are a supervisor, professional
analyst, professor, student, or citizen scientist, we want to hear from
you! We will use this information to design the exams and seek appropriate
funding to support the program. We appreciate your participation! The
survey will be open until October 31st and only takes a few minutes. Click
HERE <https://goo.gl/forms/32vkHTucaoN75HOS2> for the survey.

*About Diatom Taxonomic Certification:*

Certification is an achievement that provides professional recognition of
your skills in diatom taxonomy. As a Certified Diatom Taxonomist, you will
have the credentials to show your commitment to training and scientific
growth. Importantly, federal agencies are considering levels of taxonomic
certification (and ongoing training) as requirements for obtaining
biological assessment contracts. The certification exams will have
different formats depending on the skill level of the test, from
identification of taxa from images to more practical tasks involving
microscopy or image sorting.

*About us:*

The Diatom Taxonomic Certification Committee includes David Burge, Mark
Edlund, Julianne Heinlein, Sylvia Lee, Alison Minerovic, Jan Stevenson, and
Sarah Spaulding. We have been working to design a program that will help
improve taxonomic consistency and support the use of diatoms in
environmental assessments. We recently submitted a proposal to the Society
for Freshwater Science to fund exam design facilitation, prototype testing,
and development of web infrastructure. The macroinvertebrate taxonomic
certification program hosted by SFS is an important resource, and we are
assessing the program elements that are transferable to diatoms.