The Vonesh lab in the Center for Environmental Studies at Virginia
Commonwealth University invites applications from prospective graduate
students for Fall 2019 to collaborate on our NSF-funded project on rock
pool food webs.

https://vcu.exposure.co/natural-wonders

Changes in predator diversity via extinction and invasion are
increasingly widespread, often with dramatic ecological and socio-
economic consequences. Despite important advances, obstacles remain that
limit our ability to predict and manage these consequences. This research
focuses on river rock pool communities as a tractable model system and
integrates natural history, ecological theory, field surveys,
experiments, and new statistical tools to overcome these obstacles and
advance our understanding of the relationship between predator
biodiversity, prey populations, and ecosystem function and services.

This project is a joint effort between myself (James Vonesh), Mike McCoy
(http://mikemccoylab.weebly.com/), Jeremy Wojdak
(http://www.radford.edu/~jmwojdak/) and Ben Bolker
(http://ms.mcmaster.ca/~bolker/). We also collaborate closely with
Kristine Grayson (https://biology.richmond.edu/research/research-
labs/grayson-lab.html), Todd Lookingbill
(https://geography.richmond.edu/), Jelena Pantel (http://jhpantel.com/),
and Brian Byrd (https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-byrd-54a47a116/).

Work will focus on river rock pools in Richmond, VA, and throughout the
Southeastern USA (bird’s eye view - https://youtu.be/sOivJV_c4xY). The
juxtaposition of the James River rock pools, Virginia Commonwealth
University and metro-Richmond schools provide an exceptional opportunity
to integrate research and public education(https://youtu.be/dSnMsCHLNvA).
Students and teachers from area high schools will collaborate with
investigators on aspects of the research and in developing and broadly
disseminating innovative educational resources (e.g.,
http://jamesriverpark.org/science-in-the-park/rock-pools.php).

Graduate students will develop independent research projects that fit
within the larger framework of the grant. There is an opportunity to work
on the project and get rolling prior to the fall semester (e.g.,
spring/summer technician employment). For more thoughts on my mentoring
approach see https://wp.vcu.edu/voneshlab/join-us/.
Prospective students with a Bachelor’s degree are encouraged to apply
through the Center for Environmental Studies Masters in Science program
(http://bulletin.vcu.edu/graduate/vcu-life-sciences/center-environmental-
studies/environmental-studies-ms/), those with a Master’s degree should
consider the VCU Integrative Life Sciences Ph.D. program
(http://lifesciences.vcu.edu/academic-programs/phd-in-integrative-life-
sciences/). Competitive stipends, tuition waivers, and support for field
work are available.

Interested persons should initially email a letter that summarizes their
background, educational goals, and research interests, along with
curriculum vitae with contact information for three references to James
Vonesh (jrvoneshvcu.edu).

Virginia Commonwealth University, located in Richmond, VA, is a large
public R1 university and has an active and diverse faculty in ecology and
related fields engaged in research around the world. Richmond is an
exciting place to live and work (http://www.vcu.edu/about/richmond.html),
voted Outside Magazine’s “Best River Town in America”
(https://www.outsideonline.com/1929066/best-river-towns-america), the
third most tattooed city in America, according to the Today Show, and
perhaps simply the “Best City in America”
(http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/virginia/best-city-in-virginia/). It
certainly has some of the best urban whitewater in the East
(https://vimeo.com/139535805), if you care about such things.