The Bridging Biodiversity and Conservation Science (BBCS) program—an
interdisciplinary research incubator at the University of Arizona moving into
Year 2 of its operation—invites applications for two, one-year postdoctoral
research positions.

The new postdocs will join a cohort comprising two continuing postdocs hired in
Year 1. One of the new positions will focus on Biodiversity & Conservation
Science (i.e., for researchers in the natural sciences; see
https://uacareers.com/postings/32839) and the other position, on Environmental
Governance (i.e., for scholars in the social sciences; see
https://uacareers.com/postings/32838). Review of applications begins November
1, 2018 with an anticipated start date of January 2, 2019.

The program seeks researchers with (i) an ability to collaborate with
interdisciplinary teams and create novel synthetic research, (ii) core
expertise and creative insight in biodiversity and conservation science, and
(iii) expertise or interest in an additional targeted research area such as
public health, public policy, governance, food systems, or informatics. This
position is part of a cluster hire, and the researchers will be expected to
work closely with postdoctoral researchers and faculty members across the
natural and social sciences. The selected candidates will be supervised
collectively by at least two BBCS faculty members from different disciplines
(i.e., David Breshears, ecohydrology & macrosystems ecology; Brian Enquist,
biodiversity science; Laura López-Hoffman, ecosystem services & public policy;
Elizabeth Baldwin, public policy & governance; Kacey Ernst, public health &
epidemiology; Thomas Evans, geography; and José Soto, environmental economics;
or other BBCS members as appropriate). The selected candidates will spend time
in the labs or in lab meetings of the respective faculty mentors, and will
participate in regular meetings and training sessions of the broader BBCS team.

About the BBCS

The BBCS comprises a team of core faculty, steering committee members, and
other affiliated researchers that identified (through a series of workshops in
2016) several cross-cutting research projects that use biodiversity
conservation as a focal point for interdisciplinary investigation in public
health, governance, informatics, and food & environmental security. The
scientific goal of the BBCS program is to build a more robust and predictive
biodiversity and conservation science and to addresses emerging, critical
issues in human health and well-being, and in environmental, food, and national
security. To do this, the BBCS team develops and submits interdisciplinary,
large-budget, cutting-edge research proposals and prepares for publication
papers on applied research in biodiversity conservation.

Duties & Responsibilities

As a BBCS postdoctoral research associate you will contribute to the
development of:
(i) synthesis papers;
(ii) pilot (“proof of concept”) data;
(iii) at least one of several planned major research proposals ($2-5M) that
connect biodiversity science with public health, governance, informatics, or
food & environmental security and to be submitted during FY2019 to federal
agencies such as NSF, NIH, DoD, & USDA, or to private foundations; and
(iv) participate in regular meetings and training sessions of the broader BBCS
team.

Minimum qualifications: PhD in related field (preferred candidates will have
less than 3 years postdoctoral experience).

Salary: Starting at $47,659 DOE; full-time with benefits.

At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know
that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing
innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an
inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate
these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and
expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies.
Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences,
we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, protected veteran status, or disability. As an Employer of
National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other
national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive
Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff
and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.

https://uacareers.com/postings/32839
https://uacareers.com/postings/32838

Robert Merideth
Program Manager, Bridging Biodiversity & Conservation Science (BBCS) Program
López-Hoffman Lab, School of Natural Resources and the Environment
N303 Environment & Natural Resources 2 (ENR2) Building
The University of Arizon |  Tucson, AZ 85721 | 520.626.9868-lab