The School of Biological Sciences at the University of Queensland, Brisbane
Australia is seeking to hire two lecturers/senior lectures (tenure track
assistant professor equivalent) in quantitative biology. We are particularly
interested in recruiting ecologists, evolutionary biologists and geneticists
whose research approaches rely on high-performance computing, mathematical
modelling or modern statistical analyses to ask questions about biological
systems or problems. In this job, you will contribute to our collegial and
collaborative School; be centrally involved in the development and delivery of
a new Masters degree program in Quantitative Biology; contribute to
undergraduate teaching; and develop a successful independently funded research
program.

UQ’s School of Biological Sciences has 43 full-time faculty members, > 40
post-doctoral researchers, and over 200 enrolled PhD students. The faculty has
broad expertise across ecology and evolution, molecular and quantitative
genetics, paleobiology, developmental biology, plant and animal physiology, and
conservation biology. Our research programs involve a diverse array of taxa,
ranging across microorganisms, animals and plants. Special opportunities for
biological research and teaching are provided by our proximity to the many
special marine and terrestrial subtropical systems. Our School strives for an
equitable, inclusive and family-friendly working environment, with a leadership
committed to supporting academic staff before, during and following parental
and other carers leave, and aims to provide an academic environment that is
understanding of a reasonable work-life balance.To find out more about our
School, please visit our website: https://biological-sciences.uq.edu.au/

Though applicants from a wide range of biology-focused quantitative backgrounds
are encouraged to apply, we are particularly interested in people holding a PhD
and postdoctoral experience in quantitative ecology, evolutionary biology,
genetics or applied mathematics (including statistics with a biological focus).
In these jobs, you will participate in our School’s undergraduate programs in
ecology, zoology, marine biology and/or genetics and we especially encourage
you to apply if you have experience working with non-model plant, animal or
micro-organism systems and if you complement existing research strengths in the
School. The Quantitative Biology Masters program that you will be involved in
developing and delivering will have a foundation in the R statistical language
and will utilize High Performance Computing facilities. Experience with R is
thus essential and experience with HPC is useful but not essential. Additional
experience with, or potential to teach in, terrestrial or marine field settings
is desirable but not essential.

To Apply
To apply, please submit: a cover letter, a CV and names and contact details of
three professional referees to the UQ Jobs site: http://jobs.uq.edu.au (job #
505281).

Please ensure your cover letter includes the following elements: a statement on
your research interests and how your research will complement/expand the
School’s existing research strengths (1 page;
https://biological-sciences.uq.edu.au/research/research-strengths), a short
teaching statement including an explanation of how you envisage contributing to
a Masters in Quantitative Biology (1 page), and a clear explanation of your fit
with each of the specified job selection criteria as listed in the position
description (provided at h UQ jobs link).  International applicants are
eligible for these positions along with Australian citizens/permanent
residents.  If you would like to discuss these positions, please contact Prof
Margie Mayfield on email biolho...@uq.edu.au.

The link to the full add and application platform is here:
http://jobs.uq.edu.au/caw/en/job/505281/lecturersenior-lecturer-in-quantitative-biology