A doctoral student position is available in the lab of Dr. Jimmy Saw at the
George Washington University (GWU) in Washington, DC. We are currently looking
for highly motivated students who are interested in microbial diversity and
evolution to join the research group in Fall of 2019. The student will be able
to develop independent research projects of interest in line with those of the
lab. We are interested in microbial diversity and evolution in extreme habitats
(such as hot springs and hydrothermal vents) but also habitats around that
world that are least explored.

We will use ‘omics (metagenomics, single-cell genomics, etc), cultivation,
microscopy, and laboratory experiments to understand microbial diversity,
ecology, and evolution. Focus will be mostly placed on bacterial and archaeal
diversity and evolution in extreme habitats. Field trips to collect samples
from places such as hot springs and other habitats of interest will be
required. Students with background in microbiology, experience in culturing
microbes (especially extremophiles) and microscopy, field experience, and/or
knowledge of programming languages (such as R and Python) will be highly
competitive for this position. To learn more about my past research, please
visit my Google Scholar page:
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=9Vx-JTgAAAAJ&hl=en
or visit my website here: https://sawlab.org/ (website still under
construction).

Students who are interested in joining the group should email Dr. Jimmy Saw (at
jimmy...@gmail.com) a copy of their recent CV, a brief description of research
interests, experiences, and motivation for joining the research group prior to
applying to the PhD program. Please include GPA and GRE scores in your CV.
While the GPA and GRE scores are factors in the admission process, previous
experience, motivation, and passion for research are highly valued. The
application deadline for Fall 2019 admissions is December 1st, 2018. The
Department of Biological Sciences at GWU provides highly competitive support
for successful candidates to the PhD program.

GWU is located in the heart of Washington, DC with close proximity to museums,
research institutions, and many other places of interest. To apply, please
visit the GWU Department of Biological Sciences website
https://biology.columbian.gwu.edu/apply-now. You can also read more about the
graduate program at: https://biology.columbian.gwu.edu/graduate-faq.
Fellowships available at GWU can be found below:

https://www2.gwu.edu/~fellows/ccas.html
https://www2.gwu.edu/~fellows/ccas.html
https://www2.gwu.edu/~fellows/research.html