Folks
I have a problem and am sure that it is something that many of you will also
face.
I'm part of a large multidisciplinary project where we will use the same
protocol to sample fish, inverts, physiochemistry, contaminants etc from a
range of locations over time.
Each individual sample (e.g. a fish) will then provide a wide range of
different tissues for a range of analyses (genetics, stomach contents, scales,
otoliths, parasites, blood/liver/muscle/eye lens for stable isotopes/metals/etc)

Traditionally, I've used a code that includes project, site, date, species,
individual, sample type, but this is getting ridiculous, especially when
writing on 1.5 ml Eppendorf tubes in the cold early hours.
I'd love to go down the barcode route, but think it might be overkill.
Does anyone have a neat solution to this problem? How do you folks get max info
into a min code that allows a tube's contents to be understood a year down the
line without too much problem?

Cheers from N Chile

Chris

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Professor Chris Harrod
(Fish & Aquatic Ecology)

Email: ch...@harrodlab.net
Twitter: @chris_harrod
www.harrodlab.net
HarrodLab: Fish and Stable Isotope Ecology Laboratory
Instituto de Ciencias Naturales Alexander von Humboldt,
Universidad de Antofagasta,
Avenida Angamos 601, Antofagasta, Chile
Chile Mobile: +56 9 7399 7792
Chile Office: +56 55 2637400