We use the Galaxy Tab Active2 (SM-T390NZKAXAR) in the field and have had no
problems with it. We are in the Northeast US, so it isn't the tropics but it
has performed well in the rain.  For carrying, the Latch 2 kit from otterbox
works pretty well
(https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/utility-series/latch-ii-7-8-inch/apl8-latch-7.html),
 but the corner straps do come off sometimes so depending on them while in the
canopy might be risky.

Tim

Timothy G. Howard, Ph.D.
Director of Science | New York Natural Heritage Program
Adjunct Assistant Professor | SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
625 Broadway, 5th floor, Albany, NY 12233-4757
(518) 402-8945
tim.how...@dec.ny.gov