Lab Manger - Marine Genomics

Hakai Institute - Quadra Island, BC

Full-time, Permanent

The Tula Foundation's Hakai Institute (www.hakai.org) is a scientific research
institution conducting long-term research at remote locations on the coastal
margin of British Columbia.  As part of our ongoing research in marine
genomics, we seek an experienced Lab Manager to join our multidisciplinary team
of scientists at our laboratory facility on Quadra Island, BC.

This candidate will work with our existing lab staff to develop and implement
molecular methods to support research in microbial ecology, eDNA, and DNA
barcoding. Furthermore, this manager will work with Hakai Research Scientists
to expand our existing genomics-related research projects and develop new
protocols and laboratory methods.

Responsibilities and Duties

·         Manage samples and data from multiple genomic projects
·         Provide training and leadership to laboratory technicians
·         Develop and troubleshoot new laboratory methods
·         Assist in bench work including DNA/RNA extraction and PCR

Qualifications and Skills

·         A Master of Science in a field related to molecular biology or
environmental genomics
·         Experience in either microbial ecology, eDNA, metagenomics, or other
high-throughput sequencing application
·         Experience with project management
·         Experience with high-throughput sequencing and library preparation
·         Strong leadership skills, with experience supervising a small to
medium sized team of researchers
·         Ability to work with minimal supervision and implement and
troubleshoot new methods
·         Ability to set priorities in order to balance multiple projects and
meet deadlines
·         Willingness to live in a small island community (Quadra Island, BC)

 Benefits

Salary to be negotiated

Competitive Benefits Package

Closing date for this position is February 15, 2019

To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV/Resume to
https://tula.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=2