Posted on behalf of Julie Cidell:

The Transportation Geography Specialty Group is accepting applications for
the TGSG Student Paper Competition, with separate awards at the Master's
and PhD levels. This award recognizes outstanding theses and dissertations
in transportation geography. Each award has a $300 prize and the winner
will receive a certificate at the 2012 AAG award luncheon. Geography theses
and dissertations completed between December 15, 2010 and December 15, 2011
are eligible. We encourage submissions by students who do not necessarily
consider themselves transportation geographers but are working on exciting
and innovative transportation topics. Students should apply by emailing me (
jcid...@illinois.edu) a copy of their thesis or dissertation along with a
cover letter.  Students *must* be members of the AAG to be eligible for
either award, although they are not obligated to attend the meeting in New
York.

We are also inviting nominations for recipients of the 2011 Edward L.
Ullman Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Study of Transportation
Geography. This is our most significant and prestigious award, and has been
given to a distinguished group of transport geographers in prior years (see
the TGSG website for a complete list: http://michaelminn.net/tgsg/index.html).
The winner will receive a plaque at the 2012 AAG award luncheon. By custom,
the winner of this award is invited to give the Fleming Lecture in
Transportation Geography at the following year's AAG meeting. Nominations
for this award should include a letter of introduction and a complete CV.

The deadline for both is November 30.

---
Julie Cidell
Assistant Professor