Dear Colleagues:

Please note this year's Roepke Lecture in Economic Geography will be followed
by a reception sponsored by Economic Geography to celebrate the 90th
Anniversary of the journal.  Everyone is welcome.

The 2014 Roepke Lecture is given by Linda McDowell, Professor of Human
Geography, University of Oxford.
Friday, 4/11/2014, from 4:40 PM - 6:20 PM in Ballroom D, TCC, First Floor
(followed by a reception in the same room, 6:20-8:00 PM)

Lecture Title:
The Lives of Others: Gendering Labour Geography

Abstract:
My aim in this lecture is to explore the ways in which taking gender relations
seriously might challenge, change or complement the theoretical and empirical
agenda of labour geographers. I want to explore the consequences of turning the
focus on women workers and on gender relations instead of on trends in male
employment for arguments about economic restructuring and labour market change.
I shall argue that the identification of epochal changes by economic
geographers and others (the end of work, the end of Fordism, the rise of the
new economy for example) ignores key economic shifts, including women's more
permanent attachment to the labour market, the commodification of servicing
work and the changing connections between class and gender relations.  I shall
illustrate my argument by an historical analysis of the changing nature of the
UK economy since 1945, drawing on oral narratives of migrant women workers who
entered the UK at different periods between 1945 and 2007.

Discussant: Professor Mona Domosh, Dartmouth College

The Roepke Lecture is co-sponsored by Economic Geography, the Department of
Geography at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the AAG
Economic Geography Specialty Group.

Please plan on joining us.
Yuko

Yuko Aoyama, Ph.D.
Professor and Henry J. Leir Faculty Fellow
Graduate School of Geography
CLARK UNIVERSITY
Editor, Economic Geography