AAG 2019, Washington, D.C. 3rd-7th April 2019
Debt: Coping, Supporting, Overcoming, Resisting and Enduring

The reallocation of risk from collective institutions and employers to
households and individuals is producing forms of financial insecurity not well
captured by conventional metrics of poverty and inequality. This downward
distribution of social risk is also productive of new markets, financial
practices, and, along with them, spiraling levels of debt. This session seeks
papers examining coping strategies and practices of mutual support arising in
response to conditions of indebtedness.

Our interpretation of “debt” is broad, encompassing its personal, state and
social forms. We also understand debt as relational – not only with respect to
debtor-creditor relations – but also in connection with broader social
processes that cross scales and borders, including evictions, low quality work
and unemployment, heightened precarity, failing state social support networks,
and migration.

We are interested in alternative frameworks of mutual solidarity, dependency
and obligation developed and maintained to sustain life. These might include:
existing and new types of social networks, collective forms of practice that
are ‘quiet’, hospitality networks and broader narratives of ‘sanctuary’, local
organisation of pro-bono and peer-to-peer legal advice, and new types of
economic provisioning.

We invite papers exploring the creation, maintenance, as well as failure, of
mutual support and the plural methods through which individuals and groups
endure and potentially enact change in broader political, social and legal
arenas. We also invite papers that take a critical perspective on the
relationship between mutual aid and the circumstances – colonial and state
violence, political-economic crises – that necessitate its expansion.

Please submit your abstract (max. 250 words) to Christopher Harker
(christopher.har...@ucl.ac.uk<mailto:christopher.har...@ucl.ac.uk>), Mark Kear
(mk...@email.arizona.edu<mailto:mk...@email.arizona.edu>) and Richard Johnson
(rljohn...@email.arizona.edu<mailto:rljohn...@email.arizona.edu>) by October
21, 2018.