With apologies for cross posting.

Dear IAG Economic Geography Study Group member and friends,

We are writing to let you know about the upcoming IAG conference in Tasmania
and some special EG-related events. The conference is on 9-13 July 2019 and the
theme is Geographies of Emergence, Divergence, and Convergence.

Thanks to the funding support of the IAG, we have confirmed a keynote speaker
in Economic Geography. Janelle Knox-Hayes is Associate Professor of Economic
Geography and Planning in the Department of Urban Studies and Planning at MIT.
She holds a visiting research fellowship at the Smith School of Enterprise and
the Environment at Oxford University. Her research focuses on the ways in which
social and environmental systems are governed under changing temporal and
spatial scales as a consequence of globalization. She has studied the political
and economic interface of financial markets and environmental systems and how
individuals and organizations plan and make decisions under conditions of
socio-economic uncertainty. Her latest project examines how social values shape
sustainable development.

Janelle’s latest book is entitled The Cultures of Markets: The Political
Economy of Climate Governance. We look forward to an interesting
author-meets-critics session at the IAG with Janelle. Please let us know if you
are interested in being involved in that.

We would also like to encourage you to propose economic geography sessions for
the 2019 IAG. We are very supportive of heterodox economic geography that
encompasses a breadth of work including cultural economies, alternative
economies, sustainable transitions etc.

Further, we encourage you to develop and propose ideas at the EG Study Group
meeting at the 2019 IAG – we are very interested in more successful funding
applications to the IAG for study group activities. The funding for Janelle to
speak is just one example of what could be possible. Our aim is to raise the
profile of the excellent economic geography scholarship that occurs in
Australia.

We look forward to seeing you at the IAG in 2019!

Best wishes,

Sangeetha Chandrashekeran and Kirsten Martinus

Dr Sangeetha Chandrashekeran
Deputy Director | Melbourne Sustainable Society Institute | Faculty of
Architecture, Building and Planning
Lecturer and Researcher | School of Geography  |  Faculty of Science
T: +61 3 8344 2661  M: 0418 329 689  E: sangeetha.chan...@unimelb.edu.au

I work at the Melbourne Sustainable Society Institute Monday, Wednesday and
Friday. I work at the School of Geography Tuesday and Thursday.

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land where I live and work, the
Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nations, and pay my respects to the Elders both
past and present.