Normally we would announce the winners of the student awards competitions at
the EGSG Business Meeting.  Even though we are not meeting in person this year,
we wanted to publicly recognize the winners and thank all the students who
submitted their work to these competitions. We learned a lot from reading their
work and we look forward to following all their future accomplishments.

Drum roll please! The EGSG Board is delighted to announce the winners of the
2020 student award competitions.

Best Dissertation: Catherine Jampel (Clark University) “Scales of Inclusion:
Disability Employment in the U.S. Federal Government and Fortune 500 Companies”

Best Student Paper:  Lisha He (The University of Hong Kong) “The rise of
Chinese foreign investment in the United States: Disentangling investment
strategies of state-owned and private enterprises"

Student Research Award: Melissa Haller (UCLA) “How do Workers Cope with
Industry Obsolescence? Employment Transitions after the Decline of Eastman
Kodak" (working title)

Congratulations!

Last quick note - EGSG is participating in the AAG's Breaking Theme:
"Geographers respond to COVID-19" with a virtual panel scheduled for this
Friday, April 10, 3pm MDT (Denver's time zone). Panelist will include Charmaine
Chua, Anthony Howell, Matt Zook, Andy Herod, Sarah Hall, and Dariusz Wojcik
(*panelist order West to East by time zone). Thanks particularly to Moira
O'Neill, the EGSG Board Student Rep, for a lot of help in organizing this.
Link to join us on Friday:
https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Faag.secure-abstracts.com%2FAAG%2520Annual%2520Meeting%25202020%2Fsessions-gallery%2F26847&data=02%7C01%7CECONOMICGEOGRAPHY-L%40listserv.uconn.edu%7C124cf1f0d9b8453ca8ff08d7db14441a%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637218752405147648&sdata=BPm3N1UTKaYk6gfFrjx%2F6btCB25pTsgskv%2FKt2CsOrQ%3D&reserved=0.

Best wishes (and stay safe everyone),

Abigail Cooke (Vice Chair) and Peter Kedron (Chair), and Members of Economic
Geography Specialty Group Board

Abigail Cooke, PhD

Department of Geography

University at Buffalo