Is eCryptfs supposed to hide files from 'ls' on their containing directories?

My particulars:
 - NFS v3 mount on a 2.6.26.x + pax/grsec kernel
 - ecryptfs-utils-42
 - no special NFS mount options (-o defaults): /nfs/foo
 - no special ecrypt options (all defaults in dialog): /mnt/foo

After mounting/creating the ecryptfs volume (mount -t ecryptfs
/nfs/foo /mnt/foo), I can readily read, write, and create individual
files.  Executing 'ls /mnt/foo/my_file' shows the individual file with
appropriate values, but 'ls /mnt/foo' turns up an empty listing.  Even
'find /mnt/foo -type f' comes up empty-handed.  Un-mounting the
filesystem and re-mounting it gives me one clear 'ls /mnt/foo' where
all the files are listed, but then reverts to the 'nothing is here but
you can still edit it' behaviour.

This is strange indeed - maybe I'm not used to something w/eCryptfs,
but it doesn't particularly seem right.  Thoughts?

RB