ECS was created when servlets were the main technology for creating web pages. At that time, ECS was an alternative for hard-coding HTML in your
servlets.  Now we have JSPs, XML to XLST, frameworks such as Cocoon,
Tapestry, Wicket., MyFaces, etc With ECS you are still coding your HTML
in your servlets which is a maintenance nightmare.

Doing direct HTML coding in small easy-to-understand servlets makes sense for smaller projects. It especially makes sense for in-house projects where you are focused on providing access to data, not trying to impress the world with your Web 2.0 features and magazine- style CSS layouts.

If you are building the next Amazon.com, then yes, you may need the heft of a framework.

Those of us writing simple reports for in-house use would much rather whip up some simple servlets than spend weeks studying some framework's source-code, miles of email archives, and obscure bug- reports.

We might also find debugging to be much simpler when tracing through our own code and a few calls to ECS rather than a mountain of framework code.

The development
community has moved on to MVC frameworks.

Make that "some of" the development community.

ECS specifically died because anyone who expresses an interest gets slapped down with a condescending attitude that "only idiots and children do direct HTML coding, all the cool kids use endlessly complicated, gnarly frameworks with 18-layers of abstraction." Plus they offer the bonus feature of endless revising and re-architecting. And then eventually that framework fades away as the new framework-du- jour takes its place.

This framework mania may be the reason why so many developers have fled Java, and are running to PHP, Ruby on Rails, M$, etc.

My advice:

- If ECS works for you, use it. Get your work done, go home, kiss the spouse, walk the dog.

- If you get tired of the snobby framework retorts, start a similar project of your own somewhere else in cyberspace.

--Basil Bourque