>Subject: Owls in my dream

>Hi there
>
>Normally when I dream it does not bother me but the day when I dream
>about something and it bothers me then I know that something is going
>to happen.
>
>I've dreamt last night about owles and it is bothering me alot and I
>would like to know what the meaning of owles are.  I am not
>superstitious about owles so that is why I cannot figure out why it is
>bothering me.
>
>It was also a kind which I cannot recognised and there were babies
>as well.
>
>Could you plse come back to me

Thank you

>Sonja

Hi, Sonja. I did a little bit of research on the Web but couldn't find
any interpretations of owl dreams. I did find a bit about the owl and its
place in myth. Here is what I found:

Because he is a solitary night bird, the owl has come to represent the
forsaken. Job in his affliction calls himself "a companion to owls". [Job
30:29] He has been abandoned by the light and makes a fearful noise
because of his sufferings. The solitary bird is assumed to be lonely and
Job longs for the companionship of God which he once enjoyed.

The forsaken Christ says, "I am like an owl of the desert." [Psa 102:6
NKJV] He has been abandoned by the Father, the crowds, even his
disciples. This psalm often bears the caption: "A prayer of the afflicted
when he is overwhelmed, & pours out his sighing before the Lord." Adam
Clarke calls it, "The prayer of the captives in Babylon when ...they were
almost worn out with oppression, cruelty, & distress."

The owl is associated with ruins - places that have been utterly
abandoned and are unfit for human habitation. The complete ruin of the
cities of Israel's enemies is emphasized by statements like: "the owl and
the raven shall dwell in it" [Isa 34:11 NKJV], it shall be an habitation
of dragons and a court for owls" [Isa 34:13], "the owls shall dwell
therein: and it shall be no more inhabited for ever; neither shall it be
dwelt in from generation to generation." [Jer 50: 39] Since the owl is a
bird of ill omen, its voice among the ruins warns future generations that
herein lies the wrath of God.

Regarding ill omens, the prophet, Micah, forseeing the punishment of
Israel, says, "Therefore I will wail and howl, I will go stripped and
naked: I will make a wailing like the dragons, and mourning as the owls."
[Micah 1:8]

Since the owl loves darkness it was associated with death and the Devil
who is the Prince of Spiritual Darkness. As the Devil lays snares for the
children of Adam, the owl was believed to lead his fellow creatures into
the hunter's traps.

In Celtic regions this night-dweller was considered a "corpse-bird" or
"night hag". Asian peoples told tales of the owl stealing children in the
night. Others believed witches could fly about in the form of owls and
that sorcerers could send messages by means of this bird. The tufts on
the heads of horned owls caused them to be associated with demons
especially that of avarice or greed. The owl was also associated with
cold weather, death, moonlight, blindness, and passivity.

Christianity saw in the owl a symbol of Christ who came to those who sat
in darkness and in the shadow of death. [Luke 1:79] This is the case with
owls in pictures of the Passion. Early mystics believed the owl had a
luminous substance in its eyes which dissolved the darkness, giving it
excellent night vision. In the same way, the light of Christ was said to
dissolve the darkness of this world and give a pure and good direction.
The Christ-owl may be found with the cross on its breast or head.

In Le Livre des Symboles, the light or wisdom of the Holy Spirit is
represented by the owl who brings light to the dark souls of unbelievers.
The owl was used by the Greeks to symbolize wisdom and, as such, it is an
attribute of St. Jerome. It is also representative of the wisdom found in
solitary prayer and so appears in pictures of hermits. As wisdom, the owl
is a symbol of meditation, retreat, or the scholar. As the scholar, it is
often found perched on a scroll or book.

Except where otherwise indicated all scripture quotes are from the KJV.

More information about owls is available at:

The Raptor Center
Raptor Pictures

Make ASCII Owl Pics with Your Computer at:

The Complete Guide to Owls

© 1997 by Suzetta Tucker

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]