Rich Nering of Parker Hannifin and Kirk Kenneway of Reebok recently asked for information regarding doing EDI through the internet.  So there is no misunderstanding, I work for a third party vendor that hosts internet  solutions for a number of major companies.

I want to try to answer the questions but first I think a little work on definitions is in order.

My response refers only to Business to Business (B2B) uses on the Internet and not business to consumer.

Today there are two ways that partners exchange documents using the internet: 1.  Using EDI/INT compliant software and e-mail and 2. Using HTML pages.  Let me briefly describe each.

EDI/INT -  Each partner must have a copy of EDI/INT compliant software for this to work and each partner needs a translator.  A document is sent from your application to your translator which formats the document to the specs of your trading partner.  The resultant EDI document is then sent to a PC with an e-mail address, running EDI/INT compliant software (Such as Templar, Cyclone, etc.)  This software reads the header, encrypts the message (maybe compresses the message) and sends it to the appropriate trading partner via E-mail.  Upon receipt by the TP, a network acknowledgement is returned to you and the message is checked for tampering and to be certain that it is coming from an authorized source.  The message is then decrypted and forwarded to your TP's translator for handling just as if the message came through his VAN.

The up side is that VAN charges are eliminated.

The down side is these savings are offset by the acquisition cost for EDI/INT software and the annual maintenance costs for same.  Further all partners using this software take on additional infrastructure to manage.  Additionally, separate translation maps must be maintained for each TP specification and for each document traded.

Instituting EDI/INT with your trading partners who exchange large volumes of documents with you makes economic sense as these documents would reduce character counts on your van bill and they can probably support additional infrastructure.

Because of the need for a translator, SMB's can not participate in EDI/INT for the same reasons they do not do EDI today.  Cost, Complexity, Talent and Technology!

The second way the Internet is used today is to reach all TP's,  even those with no EDI capability, using a secure Extranet and HTML pages for the transactions.  Let me first address how these SMB's can be added.  While the system I'm about to describe works for both your suppliers and your customers, there are differences in how each side of your value chain communicates using HTML pages on the Internet.  Further there are differences between running the solution in house or in using a third party, such as my company, DynamicWeb Enterprises.  Let me talk of what I know - how we work.

Using us to outsource the solution for Vendors, you would send your PO's to your translator.  The translator sends them to the VAN who sends them DynamicWEB.  The document is run through a translator and customized software that turns each document into a HTML page for each vendor set up.  The vendor needs only a browser on his PC to pick up, download or print his PO.  When it's time to invoice, the vendor goes back to the web site, calls up the PO and rolls it forward into and Invoice.  Data keying at this point by the vendor can be as simple as entering the Invoice #.  The vendor hits a send button on the screen and the document comes back to us where it is run through the customized software and translator and then communicated back to you through your VAN.

Please bear in mind that the above is a simplistic explanation of the system.  I do not want to comment on the capabilities of other third party companies, but we can managed any EDI document, in any format and in any version for conversion to HTML and back.  Additionally all of a client's business rules can be incorporated into the solution.  (i.e.  PO Acknowlegement sent before ASN -  ASN sent before Invoice, etc.)

The up side to this is that all vendors are included in your EC system and you change nothing.  There is no new system or infrastructure to manage.  You simply leverage your existing EDI translator to reach all of your non-EDI capable vendors.  Because all documents for these SMB's go to us there is only one set of maps to maintain to add all of the SMB vendors.  Your company's cost go down as you become paperless.

The only down side I know of is the VAN bill goes up because of the additional documents transmitted, but this can be overcome by creating a direct connection between you and me.

Using us to outsource the solution for B2B Customers requires the creation of a catalog of the products you will be selling.  This catalog can be as glitzy or as spartan as your budget allows.  Customers would have to be given a suitable incentive to go to the site to place orders, as they will have to go through the catalog selecting items and quantities needed.  In many cases this will be a redundant operation for them as they probably will have the paper PO that they have been faxing to you in their hand as they enter the order on the Net. This order is then transmitted to us and we convert it to EDI and send it to you using your VAN.  Return documents such as ASN's and Invoices can be posted to the customer's web site just as PO's are posted to a vendor's site.

The significant down side is getting B2B customers to change their existing way of communicating with you.  There must be a big carrot and a mandate for this to be successful.  (I had a potential client tell me last year that P&G will only accept PO's form customers via EDI.  With no EDI, the customer was told to buy from a distributor).

Running an Extranet solution in house obviously saves on VAN charges but takes on new infrastructure. Software to create the HTML pages from EDI is available from other folks who subscribe to this list serve.  That would have to be acquired, tested, tweaked and maintained.  Once the site became operational, a tele-marketing team would have to be put in place to call vendors and customers to get them set up on the system and a customer service department would have to be created to manage call from TP's having difficulty using the site.

Outsourcing The Extranet to a third party vendor such as DynamicWeb, eliminates all of these infrastructure issues and speeds the implementation of the solution.  Hence the cost savings associated with EC are realized sooner.

For a more complete explanation of how the Internet can be used to reach SMB's, please go to www.dynamicweb.com.  There is even a demonstration of how a buy side solution could work.

Regards,

Herb Allen
National Sales Manager