Hello,
I am a bit confused that US Brokers wont accept a CUSDEC or ANSI equivalent
as I thought that the US customs with AES (or is it AERP ?)  used it.

I will write what we did in Australia which may be helpful.
Australian Customs allows automatic customs declaratons for imports and
exports
So we tried CUSDECs direct to Customs.

First Approach
---------------------------
In order to do a customs declaration we needed

1. the invoice - with the price, additional charges  and details of all
parties involved with the shipment normally using a customs agency coding)
2. details of the tariff associated with the item ( this should be on the
invoice)
3. paper documents eg the invoice plus other declarations such as quarantine
, dangerous goods and licenses.
4. transportation information eg the bill of lading and the markings
5. The goods ( unless you preclear before arrival)

We found it easy to get 1 and 2 and 3 and we found it very hard to get 4
done in a timely accurate manner for imports before the goods arrived.  So
we went to approach 2.

Second Approach
---------------------------
So we decided to send the INVOIC and get the freight forwarder/broker  to
convert this to CUSDEC by finding a match between the invoice and the
customs reference number and their shipment.

We send invoice ( EDIFACT INVOIC D.97A) when we have entered it into our
accounts payable system (which we modify to have the full details of the
tariff)

If there is an error detected at the freight forwarder ( ie invalid customs
agency coding)
        The freight forwarder delete our invoice
            We receive an email error report with the full details of the
error and the raw EDI message.
            The end users then fix the error
        The invoice is resent
else
        the freight forwarder uses the invoice number to hook to their bill
of lading details
        the freight forwarder generates a CUSDEC.
        the freight forwarder receives error messages from customs
        the freight forwarder corrects and resends.