Kristian_Bryant wrote:

I believe that in the auto industry - Japan uses the guidelines for
JAMA and JAMAS.  Does anyone know of a site reference that I can do
some research on so I enter the world of EDI in Japan with some
knowledge and other people experiences (trial & errors)?

Dear Kristian:

---History of JAMA-EDI---
The JAMA took initiative to develop the EDI standards for the auto
industry of Japan, since 1994. At March, 1999, they published
the "JAMA-EDI Transaction Information Standards (Trial Edition)",
the guidelines for JAMA, based on the CII syntax rule, mentioned
by William.

---Status of JAMA-EDI (used or not used)---
They, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc. do not use JAMA-EDI now. They
are using their proprietary, private format messages with their
suppliers. I'm not sure, but only Suzuki is using JAMA-EDI with
their flavor.

---Contents of JAMA-EDI---
Contents of the "JAMA-EDI Transaction Information Standards (Trial
Edition)" are

1. Model Business Process Flow
2. Definition of "Model Business Process Flow"
3. Standard Messages
  (1) Order Message
  (2) Delivery Instruction Message
  (3) Despatch Advice Message
  (4) Receipt (of Products) Advice Message
  (5) Delivery Plan for Contract Manufacturer "Shikyuu" Message
  (6) Invoice Message
  (7) Payment Message
  etc.

Message names may not be correctly translated. Because, these
documents are written at Japanese character, and not available
in the English version now.

---Future of JAMA-EDI---
The JAMA formed EDI Standardization Subcommittee to develop
the EDIFACT guidelines. They intend to port JAMA-EDI, based on the
CII syntax rules to UN/EDIFACT Message IGs. They are now studying
DELFOR along with the guidelines made by AIAG and Odette.

---V-CALS Project---
The JAMA and JAPIA (Japan Auto Parts Industries Association)
piloted the test of JAMA-EDI, named V-CALS Project from January,
1996 to December, 1997.

---
Osamu OKADA
NTT DATA CORP.