Hmmmm, with a bit of coding we've had to do a similar hack - mapping EDI to
a text file, which gets parsed by an Excel macro to populate a spreadsheet.
It might be an idea for you, depending on your requirements.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Behnen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 20 January 2000 15:38
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: map 850 to readable document

I'm looking for Gentran Server 850 maps (any version) that map to a human
readable document (I know that's not what EDI is for so save the key strokes
informing me what true EDI is).  Ideally the map would include  converting
codes to their descriptions.  The output of the map would be read by a
customer service person and then keyed into an order entry system.

If someone knows of a cheap UNIX package that does this, I'd like to hear
about that as well.

Tim Behnen
612-375-7788