[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> In the end I took the path of least resistance, and simply added a line
of
>> code to the program which outputs the data to go to our EDI translator.
>> This code translates all asterisks in the data into a blank.  If you
don't
>> want to blank them out, then '!' or '#' would be good choices as
alternates
>> as well, as I have never seen anyone use these characters as separators.

I agree. While the standard says to examine the ISA in positions 4, 105 and
106 for the separators (and all the standard EDI software I've come across
does), there are sone home brewed software that insists on specific values
so, to be safe, I would try to have your mapper change the characters. That
way, you can even do partner specific changes if necessary.

Andy

PS      I have seen the '!' used as a segment terminator; makes EDI read
strange...

                I want to order 1,000 widgets!
                Please ship them tomorrow!
                Please ship them to Houston!