Stephanie:

You have touched upon a highly subjective issue.  There are those that
firmly believe XML will never take hold because there are too many
issues standing in the way of a clear industry direction.  Likewise,
there are those that believe XML, because of its versatility, will
sooner or later send Traditional EDI to the boneyard.  Finally, there
are the middle-of-the-road gangs that view XML as a viable option that
can function as an extension of EDI or else incorporate EDI within it.

It is too early to say in which direction e-Commerce will progress.
Thus, if you are looking for a quick and immediate answer, there isn't
any to be had.  However, here in summary is what we know about the
extent of penetration of e-commerce so far:

There are four e-commerce scenarios that exist.  Business-to-Business;
Business to Consumer; Business to Government; and Consumer to
Government.

Traditional EDI works best with Business to Business and Business To
Government  Here is where trading partners representing both classes
have invested in EDI resources and maintain production-level e-commerce
activity via sending and receiving of transaction sets.

Traditional EDI works the poorest if being existant at all in all
consumer to business and consumer to government applications.  EDI does
not reach down to the consumer level, and is very costly for small to
medium sized enterprises to implement.

Resources such as ForeSight and DynamicWeb Enterprises are two of the
sources I know about that have developed web-enabled EDI based on
traditional EDI but capable of being accessed by anybody with a Windows
95 computer.  Both are presently developing XML interfaces but I am not
familiar with the work of either in this area.

For XML itself, I would recommend accessing this web site:
http://www.gca.org.  Another (I think) is www.xmltoedi.com.  This could
get you started on an action plan which will hopefully bring the best of
either system to your consideration.

Hope  this helps.

Cheers
Bob Carper