Dear Matt:

At the last ASC X12 Trimester Meeting in October, I was resoundingly
elected Chair of the X12C TG2 Communications and Control Subcommittee -
Syntax Work Group, responsible for X12.5 and X12.6. Using the awesome
powers invested in this office, I forced through X12 data maintenance
item DM #002199 which addresses this very issue but had been languishing
in the subcommittee for almost a year.

I silenced or intimidated all opposition, and ram-rodded Peter Randlev's
DM through the full subcommittee and then brought the DM forward to
X12J - the Technical Assessment Subcommittee - the gatekeepers of X12
purity.  Thoroughly cowed by my forceful defense of the change, X12J
meekly passed the DM on for full X12 member approval.  I think it got
approved.  But I'm not sure: drunk with power, I don't have time to keep
track of petty details.

Actually, if truth be known, if I hadn't been held by the hand through
each step of the process by one of my fellow chairs, I wouldn't have had
any idea what to do.  But that doesn't matter: I have the title and it
looks good on my resume.

The text of  DM# 002199 is reproduced hereinafter:

Submitter: PETER RANDLEV
Company: INDEPENDENT MEMBER
Subcommittees: J

Reason For Change
A request for an informal interpretation was made by an X12 member as to
the use of the carat symbol "^" in an alphanumeric character string
within an NTE segment. It was determined that the carat and the left
single quotation mark "`" were not listed in X12.5 appendix and X12.6
section 3.3. They appear to be the only two symbols from a typical
keyboard that are not included. Thus, it is requested that they be
included so that, if desired, they can be used in a character string in
segments such as the MTX and NTE.

It is recognized that the carat "^" is listed in section 5 of X12.5 as a
possible data element separator. But , so is the asterisk "*" which is
included in the two control standards. There is a note in 3.3.2 of X12.6
which states "Special characters are removed from this category when
they are used as delimiters."

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.