The comment on secret pasta sauce recipes had to do with what really gives a
company more of a point of difference in the market and what doesn't create
a real point of difference.

I recently heard a story about customer service via the web for LL Bean
(perhaps clothing will work better than pasta sauce for you).  The customer
searched the on line catalog, selected a duffel bag and wanted to put their
child's name on it.  Unfortunately, the option to monogram was allowed but
there were no detailed selections offered.  She entered her phone number at
the top of the page and within minutes a representative of the company
called (not days later) and was able to deliver monogram choice on line to
her while hey spoke.  That type of customer service is not compromised by
allowing a standard format for the actual purchase order or a follow on
standard format from the receive order function at LL Bean to the fulfil
order function at LL Bean.  And, it give a competitive advantage.

Bill, FYI- Thought you knew who I was.  At least last year you did when you
noted that I used to work for Citibank- still do.  If it matters- Leonard
Schwartz.  I work at Citibank.  Am Co-Vice Chair of X12's  SITG and a member
of UN/CEFACT TMWG.  Although my opinions ought to be equally valued
regardless of who I am or am not.

However, please note my comments are personal and do not represent these
organizations necessarily.

Len (Schwartz)