Karen Feger, of Borders Group Inc., wants to "know what the EDIFACT
equivalent is for the ANSI X12 transaction set 180 - Return Merchandise
Authorization and Notification."

Dear Karen:

Thanks for the softball question.  I wasn't up to any hard thinking this
afternoon.  So what would I do in a situation like this?  What I usually
do - I fired up the old EDISIM Standards Reference, and did a search for
"return" on the EDIFACT D99B directory and came up with RETANN, the
Announcement for Returns Message, and RETINS, the Instruction for
Returns Message.

Normally when it comes to looking up X12 and EDIFACT equivalents,
there's a handy document called the "Functional Cross Reference of ASC
X12 Transaction Sets and UN/EDIFACT Messages," provided by the X12
CEFACT Forum Task Group (CFTG) at http://www.disa.org/x12/dltg/.  But
it's getting a little musty and did not have anything about the 180's
EDIFACT equivalent.  That's why I had to rely on the only absolutely
reliable source regarding EDIFACT and X12: EDISIM, of course!

I would recommend that you refer to the EANCOM 97 implementation
guidelines based on EDIFACT D96A for details and examples dealing with
the Returns messages.  You'll find EANCOM 97 conveniently available on
EDISIM, ready at your fingertips.  Note that the Returns messages didn't
actually exist yet in the D96A EDIFACT directory, on which EANCOM 97 is
based; they found their way into the later EDIFACT D97B directory.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305