"William J. Kammerer" wrote:

> These characters are not a problem in modern TCP/IP Internet
> communications, but would be something to think of when using old stuff
> like Kermit, asynch protocols, or maybe even bi-synch 3780.

It is refreshing to see that even Mr. Kammerer can be wrong once.
Taking a quote from the Columbia University Kermit web pages (
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ ):

"Kermit is a file transfer protocol first developed at Columbia
University in New York City in 1981 for the specific purpose of
transferring text and binary files without errors between diverse
types of computers over potentially hostile communication links, and
it is a suite of communications software programs from the Kermit
Project at Columbia University."

"Hostile communication links" in this case are communication links
that "loose data" or corrupt data by interpreting some control
characters. Much like the UN/EDIFACT and X12 syntaxes, Kermit offers a
configurable escape character to transfer these.

anyway, just my E.05 (which isn't worth much anymore these days :-)

Erlend Nagel.