This is true - however a neat trick if you have multiple commands to execute for every
true instance of an if command is to use a If statement combined with a While Loop.

Store 1 IfTrue
Store 0 IfChk
If element = literal
  Store 1 in IfChk
While IfChk <= IfTrue increment by 1,
  command
  command
  command
End While

In the question presented by Pam you would need multiple Ifs to check for each
variable - but if there are multiple commands to be used for each ST or RI, etc. - the
combination of If Statements and While Loops will help eliminate many of the If
Statements having to be repeated.  IfChk would be set to 1 for every ST or RI - but
not BY.  As long as the groups of commands are the same for each true instance the If
statements could be repeated and one while loop containing the commands.

Store 1 IfTrue
Store 0 IfChk
If element = ST
  Store 1 in IfChk
If element =RI
  Store 1 in IfChk
While IfChk <= IfTrue increment by 1,
  command
  command
  command
End While

The above would execute a series of commands with only two If Statements and one While
Loop following.

Mary

Mojica William-FWM008 wrote:

> unfortunately Harbinger has not implemented the (smart) logic If... Then... Else..
>therefore you must ask at every 09 record if 09ST.....do this .., then if 09RI Do
>that ... but do not ask if 09BY and it will be skipped, but because Harbinger does
>not have if... then... else... you must do an IF question before every command.
>
> WDM
> (hope that helps)

begin:vcard
n:Scanlan;Mary
tel;fax:847 473-1373
tel;work:847 473-1957
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:JST Corporation
adr:;;1957 S. Lakeside Drive;Waukegan;Illinois;60085;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:EDI Programmer
fn:Mary Scanlan