Title: RE: ASCII - EBCDIC conversion issue solved!

WJK has solved this!

I checked the letter "A" and it mapped correctly according to the Quick Reference tables linked to below.

"-" in ASCII maps to DC4 (device control 4) in EBCDIC!

No wonder X12 likes to express money as an absolute value with a separate sign indicator.
If you try to send a negative number from ASCII to EBCDIC, you won't get the sign character through conversion.

Thanks WJK and Brooks Knight and the others who replied.  It would have remained an unsolved mystery.

Anthony Beecher
Manager of Vendor Systems
buy.com