----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Tharp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 10:06 AM
Subject: XML/EDI - Why does it have to be so hard?

> In today's world, disk space is relatively cheap.  Plus, we have
> compression technologies in place that make it quite easy to compress data
> before transmission.
> Why not move toward UNDERSTANDABILITY rather than efficiency?
> As I learn more about XML, I'm beginning to see that it has a better
chance
> of being "understandable" (or human readable) than traditional EDI, and
> this is a good thing.

Major misunderstanding: EDI (generically speaking, not limited to
ANSI/EDIFACT or XML, HTML or any other flavor) was NEVER MEANT TO BE
'HUMAN-READABLE.'  It was meant to be understood by the sending and
receiving computer systems.

Eliminating the need for human intervention in the routine business
transaction was kind of the whole idea behind EDI.

Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI