Kevin Benedict asked "Which of you EDI and B2B e-Commerce gurus are willing to make
prophecies concerning the migration pace from traditional EDI to XML/Internet based
technologies?".

Well, I'm no prophet or guru, but from a manufacturer's perspective I predict that
companies with an existing investment in traditional EDI will rush to XML just as fast
as our trading partners force us to.  The old saying of "if it ain't broken, don't fix
it" applies.  Traditional EDI continues to work extremely well for us, as I'm willing
to wager it does for most of the other manufacturers out there who use it.  For us,
there just isn't ANY discernable business case to migrate from X.12 and EDIFACT to XML.

And (on a different note), I continue to wince whenever I read "these new XML/Internet
technologies", as though traditional EDI has some inherent quality that prevents it
from using the Internet as a communication medium.

Cheers!

Paul Krikke
Manager,
Information Systems -- Business Technology
Taylor Steel Inc.

ÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝØ contact the list owner:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]