The April, 2001 issue of Electronic Commerce World magazine features XML
topics. Two articles I suggest for those who wonder why all the hype about
XML, or, more broadly, "Why XML?"

First, the cover story, "Pumped Up - Business Reaches for the Promise of
XML"  by Peter Lucas

Opening paragraph:
"When Extensible Markup Language debuted as a data exchange language in the
late 1990s, it did not take long for chief technology officers to discover
that the initial hype surrounding XML was overblown...."

This article is available on-line at:
http://www.ecomworld.com/magazine/issues/article.cfm?ContentID=803

Second, the Guest View column, "Demystifying XML" by Dr. Daniel Miranker.
This article's last paragraph begins, " Yes, XML will play a part in the
Web-enabled future. But like the hyped Y2K, it will not change the world as
we know it anytime soon...."

This article is available on-line at:
http://www.ecomworld.com/magazine/issues/article.cfm?ContentID=815

Let me also make a pitch for Electronic Commerce World magazine in general -
I recommend it as required reading for anyone in the EDI or e-commerce loop.

Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]