List,

One of our customer's trading partners uses a code "010" in the DTM segment to mean either Ship Date, if our customer is to ship the product, or Pickup Date, if they choose to pickup the product.  The trading partner then enters "CC" in the FOB01 element if they want to pickup the product, or "PC" if they want the product shipped to them.

It seems to me that the trading partner should use a code "118" in the DTM segment to designate a requested pickup date, or a code "010" to indicate a requested ship date, thereby designating both the method of shipment and the date associated with it.

The use of payment terms to designate the method of shipment is very dangerous if, for example, the trading partner wanted our customer to ship the product on a collect basis.  The trading partner could not have a product shipped to them on a collect basis using this approach.

Does anyone have any thoughts on other ways to resolve this confusion?

Dave Taylor
Sysmark Information Systems, Inc.