> Quoted text is from <383546839.989331464307.JavaMail.root@web313-wrb>,
> by Ron Katz[[EMAIL PROTECTED]] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >How would you do that programatically?
>
> It rather depends on which language you are using :-)
>
> If I request "DIR dmxtrans.gif" then a line is returned to me
> (or stored
> in file if I so request it) which seems very similar to the UNIX ls -l
> format.
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 webuser  web          323 Apr 29  1998 dmxtrans.gif
>
> The above may have been word-wrapped by your mailer.
> Empirically I would
> extract columns 33 to 40 of the line and convert them to an
> integer (in
> this case 323) to get the file size.

Awk works for this sort of thing.  I don't have access to a Unix machine
this instant in order to test it, but it would be something like this:

        bytecount=`ls -l  dmxtrans.gif    |  awk '{print $5}'`

(The thing after the filename is a "pipe" symbol.)  This, or something very
nearly like it, would place the fifth space-delimited token from the "ls -l"
output into the variable "bytecount".