Another thought is to uuencode, wrap the data at 80 bytes and send it send
it in a 996 (FT - File Transfer)document.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lori Goessl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 6:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sending files in EDI

Thanks to those who respond (and good to know Extol customer service is
watching out for their customers by responding with phone calls to e-list
messages).

For others who were wondering about how to send files in EDI, Michael
Mattias of Tal Systems kindly summed it up for me:

"I don't recall seeing any answer except "use the 102" document.  The 102
was
not defined until ANSI v4, release 1, subrelease 1 (aka "4011"). (Archives
are now at http://www.mail-archive.com/edi-l%40listserv.ucop.edu/ )

But in 004010 there's always the 841 product specification document, which
supports the BIN segment, as well as REF segments in the header, where you
could use a "PO" qualifier in REF01, and a BV qualifier in a second REF01
element if identification to the PO line number is needed.

But...  just speaking as someone who has been on the "vendor" side of
customer POs as both a user and a consultant, POs requiring drawings/specs
etc are at best awkward to handle unless the drawings are available from a
central repository (e.g., a customer web site, aka J C Penney Co) or have
been otherwise previously supplied.

Generally, a "drawing number"  when required is placed in a LIN segment at
the PO1 level using a code qualifer 'DR'."

Lori L. Goessl
Senior IT Analyst - Electronic Business
Johnson Wax Professional