Josh,

Generally a DTD isn't used to describe a unique data structure, such as
a specific transaction set.  A DTD is used to describe the contents of a
XML file, therefore the XML file is more specific. A DTD could be used
to describe an overall data structure such as a template for all EDI
definitions, in your case X12, and the XML could describe the individual
transactions sets, in your case 278.

For an example of using XML to describe EDI  check out the package I've
been working on named OBOE at
http://www.americancoders.com/OpenBusinessObjects

Regards,

Joe McVerry