Catie,

Years ago when I was with Baxter Healthcare we had the same need, since many
items sold to hospitals are not taxable, while some are, and many are
subject to different tax rates based on the taxing jurisdiction. This is a
common issue for the health care medical products supply chain.

At that time I was the Chair of the HIBCC EDI Technical Committee, and thus
I'm pretty sure that the HIBCC guides show how to do this. I don't have the
details in front of me, but I'm sure that the HIBCC Implementation Guide for
the 810 provides for the ability to specify tax at the item line level. You
should be able to download the current HIBCC EDI guides from HIBCC's web
site at http:/www.hibcc.org.

Lastly, I suggest you also contact Dave Kuskulis at S&N Wound Management in
Largo to see how he's handling this in his 810. I'm copying Dave on this so
you two can confer.

Rachel

I have a customer who wants taxes on a line item level.  Fine unless the
item taxed is the freight charge b/c the freight is put into the SAC
segment.  Anyone run into this or have a suggestion?

Catie Freres
Programmer/Analyst
Smith & Nephew Orthopaedics
Memphis, TN